27 April 2011

Day 82 ~ A Thomas Day

The last couple of days I've had the awesome opportunity to spend some time with Thomas.  Yesterday he spend an hour at Learning Consultants in group meeting new friends.  There are 5 boys in his group, not all have Asperger's, but they have similar issues and are close to his age.  Afterwards, we joined a couple of the parents with their sons at McDonald's.  All the boy had their DS's and Gameboys out and Pokemon was discussed nonstop, that is among the boys.  The adult conversation was good and I was able to glean some new information about places and programs that might benefit Thomas in the future.

One of the things that was shared was a program in the St Louis area called Touchpoint that specializes in services for those on the Autism Spectrum.  I will definitely seek more information about them in the near future. While searching their website I came across a blog written by a man by the name of Aaron Likens.  Aaron is employed by Touchpoint as a community educator.  He basically travels Missouri enlightening folks about Asperger's and other conditions on the Autism Spectrum.  He's especially suited to this task as he, himself has Asperger's.  So I spent much of the evening poring over his blogposts.  I have included his blog here on the right side under "other blogs that I follow" - "Life on the Other Side of the Wall".   I didn't have time to read as much as I would have liked, but there were two posts that I found particularly compelling.  I couldn't help but tear up as I read his truth, knowing my Thomas's experience is much the same.  I only wish everyone could have a greater understanding of how he thinks and feels.  So that is one reason why I'm writing this today - to enlighten!  I too am only just beginning to figure this out and I want to be as informed as I can, so that I can truly be an advocate for Thomas!  

Here are the links to those 2 posts for those of you interested; I encourage you to read and be enlightened! 



Today we spent some more time together.  We went to another doctor, we'll go again in two weeks.  Then Thomas agreed to try out Chick-Fil-A.  He was kind of set on Burger King so I'm grateful for the compromise!  This was a new restaurant and I was anxious to go there as I hadn't been to one in a while. There aren't too many Chick-Fil-A's around here. It was wonderful Thomas - Thank you!  




No comments: